2018 CDVCA Annual Conference
Thursday, March 22, 2018
- Please be advised that this schedule may be subject to change. -
8:00 - 8:45a.m.
Breakfast and Registration
8:45 - 9:00a.m.
Diverse Ownership: Investing in Minority- and Women-Owned Businesses
Minority- and women-owned enterprises continue to suffer from under-investment from a venture capital and fund management industry overwhelmingly dominated by white males. One answer to this challenge is funds that specialize in serving underrepresented groups, with strong contacts in and understanding of these communities. Learn of the experience of leading fund managers with experience in nurturing and investing in minority and women entrepreneurs.
- Moderator/Presenter: Efrain Gonzalez, Associate Director of Business Development, Minority Business Development Agency
- Della Clark, President, The Enterprise Center
- Jo Ann Corkran, Managing Director, Golden Seeds
- Anthony Williams, Vice President & Senior Investment Officer, Meridian Management Group
10:15 - 10:30a.m.
10:30a.m. - 12:00p.m.
The Opportunity Zones Program: Unlocking New Sources of Capital for Distressed Communities
In addition to overhauling the tax code for corporations and individuals, the recently-enacted tax bill created a little-noticed program that could create billions of dollars of new investment in low-income communities. Hear from the leaders in designing and implementing this initiative about what fund managers might expect from this new program.
- Moderator and Fund Manager Reaction: Fran Seegull, President, Impact Investing Alliance
- Steve Glickman, Co-Founder and CEO, Economic Innovation Group
- Randy Kahn, Executive Vice President, Greenline Ventures
- John Sciarretti, Partner, Novogradac & Company, LLP
12:00 - 1:30p.m.
Lunch and Keynote Address: Annie Donovan, Director, CDFI Fund
Introduction by Ray Moncrief, CDVCA Board Chair
- Jim Sorenson, Chairman, Sorenson Impact Foundation
- Kerwin Tesdell, President, Community Development Venture Capital Alliance
1:30 - 2:00p.m.
2:00 - 2:30p.m.
Report from Inside the Beltway
How will federal programs important to our industry fare in this time of division and confusion in Washington? While the President has zeroed out the CDFI Fund in his budget, congress still seems to like it. Tax reform left the New Markets Tax Credit tested but unscathed, and has created a possible new opportunity (zone) for fund managers investing in low-income communities. Learn what may be in store for us in Washington from the man whom we count on to represent our interests on Capitol Hill.
- Bob Rapoza, Rapoza Associates
Dressed for Exit
All fund managers struggle to exit in a timely manner, but investing in areas with less developed M&A and IPO markets presents particular challenges. Hear from fund managers who count on traditional VC exits about how they guide companies toward successful exits that yield positive financial and social returns. And learn about so-called structured exit financial instruments that may allow investment in companies where a traditional exit is not in the cards.
- Moderator/Presenter: Alan Bernstein, Managing Director, CDVCA
- Aner Ben-Ami, Managing Director, Candide Group
- Nat Henshaw, President, CEI Ventures, Inc.
- Cyril Meduna, Managing Partner/President, Advent-Morro Equity Partners
- Katrina Ngo, Senior Manager, Global Impact Investing Network
2:30 - 4:00p.m.
4:00 - 4:15p.m.
New Funds Forum
- Fund managers forming funds
4:15 - 5:30p.m.
Hors d’oeuvres and drinks. Meet other conference participants and join us for a pleasant evening together.
5:30 - 7:00p.m.